|Breaks through obstacles|
The Ancient Guardian is a Boss Monster found within the Labyrinth region of the Ruins, as there are 3 different Sinkhole entrances in the world, it is possible to encounter 3 Ancient Guardians, making Ancient Guardian's Loot not renewable unless the Wooden Thing is used to create and travel to a new World. It looks and acts similar to a Clockwork Rook, but appears as a living creature covered in fur.
The Ancient Guardian has 2500 Health and deals 100 damage per hit. It charges at its target similarly to a Clockwork Rook, but it has an additional attack when in melee range; it will use a close-range uppercut with a very short attack delay.
|No. of hits for
||589||184||148||92||82||74||60||43-85||35 or 58||50||49||48||43||42||37||25||13||3|
In Don't Starve Together, there is only one Ancient Guardian as the Caves and Ruins are placed within the same level and every Sinkhole in the surface links to different locations in the Caves, but since the Heart of the Ruins update, it is possible to regenerate the Ruins, thus making Ancient Guardian's Loot renewable through the activation of the Ancient Gateway and defeating the Ancient Fuelweaver.
- Rock Lobsters can be utilized against the Ancient Guardian, and are very effective due to their damage reduction. 5 large Rock Lobsters will be able to deal with the Ancient Guardian, taking turns tanking damage and dealing damage.
- Using 12 Gunpowder, 1 Blow Dart and 1 Ice Staff is another strategy to defeat the Guardian. Freezing the Guardian gives the player time to place the Gunpowder nearby. After the Gunpowder is ignited and explodes, the Guardian will be on Fire. When the fire goes out, a Blow Dart can be used to finish it off. If the Guardian is killed while still on fire, its loot will become Ashes and Cooked Meat.
- It is possible to Trap the Guardian between two Campfires and attack with impunity (this won't work in Don't Starve Together as the Guardian will destroy Campfires). The same effect can be achieved by hiding behind a Pillar close to the edge of the map.
- 5 Log Suits, 3 Football Helmets, and a Ham Bat can be utilized to attack the Guardian head on. To save inventory space, the armor can be crafted right before the fight, allowing the player to only carry 4 stacks of materials instead of 8 pieces of armor.
- The Ancient Guardian was released in The Stuff of Nightmares update.
- The Six Feet Under update added its ability to do a close-range attack
- The fact that the Ancient Guardian spawns in the "labyrinth" and is named "Minotaur" in the game files is likely a reference to the Greek mythology story of Theseus and the Minotaur.
- The Ancient Guardian is a product of prolonged exposure to Nightmare Fuel, as referenced by Maxwell in his examination quote : "My my, the fuel has changed you."
- This also indicates Maxwell knew the Ancient Guardian from before its transformation. While examining the Guardian's Horn, he mourns his death and calls him a friend.
- The Ancient Guardian does the second highest damage per hit, and has the fastest running speed of any mob in the game. The highest amount of damage is done by Bigfoot.
- An Ice Staff will freeze the Ancient Guardian after only two hits. No other boss can be frozen so quickly; by comparison, the Rook takes the same amount of hits to be frozen.
- The Ancient Guardian is one of three Boss Mobs added to the game without an Insanity Aura, the others being the Moose/Goose and the Tiger Shark.
- It is unlikely, but possible, that when the Guardian is trapped between the Abyss and a non-destructible obstacle (Campfires, Pillars, etc.), it may end up walking onto the Abyss, making it impossible to retrieve its loot without using the console. If killed while at the extreme boundary of the Abyss, there is a small chance for the loot to drop in a reachable position.