|Don't Starve Wiki has recently moved onto the Gamepedia network. Existing editors will need to create or use an existing Curse account and submit their usernames for merging contribution history. Once you have registered a new account through Gamepedia and logged into the wiki, you can use this form to submit your info to be merged. Learn more about the move and the merge process here.|
Stacks up to
|Does not stack|
A Beefalo Horn is an Item dropped 33% of the time after killing a Beefalo. When blown, the Beefalo Horn uses 10% of its durability and causes up to 5 grown Beefalo to follow the character for the rest of the current day or until they meet up with the player, as at night Beefalo will stop following and go to sleep. They will move at their walking speed and will not fight hostile creatures the way that following Pigs do. Baby Beefalo still follow their parents, which means that they will also move; however, the Horn will not cause them to leave their parents.
The Beefalo will stay in the general area they are brought to. This way, it is possible to lead them into a walled "pen" (so they won't wander off) close to a camp for a steady supply of Manure, Beefalo Wool, and/or Meat. Be careful, though - when mating season comes, having them too close to camp will be a nightmare, as they will smash walls and cause a lot of damage before the player has much time to react.
Beefalo Horns can also be used to calm Beefalo who have been angered. However, a Beefalo in heat will continue to attack if too close.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Use the Beefalo Horn during mating season to make killing Treeguards, the Deerclops, Spider Queens, and other Monsters easier.
- Beefalo will follow the player through Worm Holes when the horn is used, making it handy to move herds to new locations where they may be sparse.
- When herding Beefalo into a pen, it is helpful to have them follow at dusk. Even though only 5 of them will follow the player at once, the remaining herd will follow suit as they attempt to keep the group together. As an additional benefit, the entire herd will stay wherever they were put when they go to sleep.
- If penning Beefalo in a walled area, it is best to keep the pen several screen lengths away from a base camp. During mating season, the herd will break down walls to get to any mob that wanders too close. By keeping them a few screens away, they are sort of in a "stasis", and placed walls will not be destroyed as often.
- If you allow the Beefalo to catch up to you while leading them they will revert to their normal behavior, which in most cases is to try to return to their "home" location. So stay ahead of them to keep them going until nightfall.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Beefalo Horn was added in the Spoiled Rotten update.
- If the Beefalo Horn is used when there is 10% left, it will play the sound after it is broken in the animation.