|Don't Starve Wiki has recently moved onto the Gamepedia network. Existing editors will need to create or use an existing Curse account and submit their usernames for merging contribution history. Once you have registered a new account through Gamepedia and logged into the wiki, you can use this form to submit your info to be merged. Learn more about the move and the merge process here.|
The Books Tab is a special tab that is only available to Wickerbottom. It allows the player to craft Books, which can be used to activate several events at the cost of sanity. Each book has multiple uses.
Birds of the World[edit | edit source]
Covers 1000 Species: Habits, habitats, and calls.
Applied Horticulture[edit | edit source]
On the care and feeding of plants.
Sleepytime Stories[edit | edit source]
Soothing tales to send you off to dreamland.
On Tentacles[edit | edit source]
Let's learn about our subterranean friends!
The End is Nigh![edit | edit source]
The world will end in fire and tribulation! Ia! Ia!
Joy of Volcanology[edit | edit source]
And the sky shall rain fire!
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Tentacles from On Tentacles generally produces more Tentacle Spots than it consumes. They are also a source of Tentacle Spikes, a great melee weapon. The book can be used to build defenses or traps, as the Tentacles are hostile to most Mobs in the game.
- In Reign of Giants (RoG) and Shipwrecked (SW) DLCs, the lightning from "The End is Nigh!" can strike Wickerbottom when used. It is recommended to use clothing that blocks lightning damage, such as the Eyebrella (RoG), Snakeskin Jacket/Hat (SW), or the Dumbrella (SW).
- In Don't Starve Together, Maxwell can use Wickerbottom's books if obtained.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The phrase "Ia! Ia!" in the "The End is Nigh" description refers to the phrase "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!", a chant from the Cthulhu mythos of H. P. Lovecraft.
- The sanity reduction from reading possibly could suggest that these books contain knowledge that humans were not meant to know, similar to the Necronomicon and Pnakotic Manuscripts from the writings of H.P. Lovecraft.
- The Joy of Volcanology is essentially a carbon copy of the Volcano Staff, except it's less accurate.
- In Don't Starve Together, Wendy gives a very small hint on Abigail's death upon examining Applied Horticulture. She simply states; "Imagine, a rolling field of red flowers."
- According to Wilson in Don't Starve Together, Sleepytime Stories is "just 500 pages of telegraph codes". This implies that the book bores those affected to sleep.