“I can't believe it's butter!”
“Tasty, and just a little bit insecty.”
“Is buttery, and taste like insect.”
“I wasn't expecting that.”
“THIS IS IMPROBABLE”
“Some puns are irresistible.”
“Butter. Might it be gööd ön steak?”
“This makes everything better.”
“I thought I would never see you again, old friend!”
Butter is a rare Dairy Food item dropped by Butterflies (2% chance). It is an ingredient in the Crock Pot Recipes for foods that restore high Health and/or Sanity. It has an exceptionally long perish time, allowing the player enough time to gather the other necessary ingredients for these recipes.
Butter can be used in Crock Pot recipes that require any Dairy, such as Ice Cream. In addition, the following recipes specifically require Butter.
- WX-78's quote about butter is a reference to how unlikely it is for butter to drop when killing a butterfly.
- Butter could be a nod on the joke of a butterfly.
- Butter's striped appearance, and the fact that it comes from Butterflies is most likely a reference to the browser-based MMO Glitch, that ran from 2009 to 2012.
- Waffles are one of the best healing foods in the game. They are in fact the only renewable food item that heals as much and does not drain sanity (except for some new foods in the Shipwrecked DLC).
- Butter gave 80 research points when used on a Science Machine in the early beta of Don't Starve.
- As Butter only comes from Butterflies, it is highly recommended not to pick flowers near ones base, as more flowers equates to more chances for Butter.