|Don't Starve Wiki has recently moved onto the Gamepedia network. Existing editors will need to create or use an existing Curse account and submit their usernames for merging contribution history. Once you have registered a new account through Gamepedia and logged into the wiki, you can use this form to submit your info to be merged. Learn more about the move and the merge process here.|
|Can hide in their shell which absorbs 75% damage|
|50% or 25% or 25%|
Cave Spiders are a Cave-dwelling type of Spider which have a shell-like carapace which they can close to hide and protect themselves from damage. They spawn from Spilagmites along with Spitters. They have one large red eye and a gaping maw with the shell making up their 'head'. Like the Spitter, Cave Spiders will emit low pitched roars, as opposed to the other spiders high pitched gurgling growls.
Reign of Giants[edit | edit source]
Hunting[edit | edit source]
Cave Spiders differ from other Spiders because of their shell-armor. After two hits, they will close up the shell which absorbs 75% of damage. After a few seconds, they will open their shell and begin to attack again, at which point they are vulnerable. These Spiders can be stunlocked while they are out of the shell and will stay inside as long as they are being attacked, which means they are relatively easy to kill with patience.
Cave Spiders will follow the character when wearing the Spiderhat. However, caution must be taken as the combination of the Spiderhat and multiple spider followers can drastically decrease Sanity, which can be difficult to manage since it is always considered Night underground. Also, it is important to watch the Spiderhat's durability level as the Cave Spiders and Spitters will become hostile when it runs out.
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill Cave Spiders when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
|No. of hits for
||36||12||9||6||5||4||3-6||3 or 4||3||2||1|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Be aware that Spilagmites will also spawn Spitters. Spilagmites can be mined to keep the spiders from respawning.
- Wolfgang can easily kill Cave Spiders with 3 hits from a Spear or 2 hits from a Tentacle Spike or Dark Sword. Dealing with Cave Spiders (as well as many other enemies) as a Werebeaver means one bite does the same damage as a hit from a Tentacle Spike.
- It is recommended that players equip a Miner Hat while fighting these creatures. It allows the player to see other mobs that might be attacking. Alternatively dropping one or more Lanterns in the area you're fighting is also effective, or better still aim to fight in an area that's already lit up naturally (e.g. by Light Flowers).
- Bunnymen are hostile to Cave Spiders and other underground monsters. It is therefore useful to lure Cave Spiders into Bunnyman villages.
- Cave Spiders will attack Rock Lobsters on sight, which will almost always end with a Cave Spider loss because an average Rock Lobster can easily kill a Cave Spider in few hits without much damage to itself.