|Don't Starve Wiki has recently moved onto the Gamepedia network. Existing editors will need to create or use an existing Curse account and submit their usernames for merging contribution history. Once you have registered a new account through Gamepedia and logged into the wiki, you can use this form to submit your info to be merged. Learn more about the move and the merge process here.|
Hound Mounds are naturally spawning objects formed in both Sandbox Mode and Adventure Mode, though it's more likely to be found in the latter. It is a spawning place of Hounds. It's usually found in either a Rockyland or Forest.
As stated by Maxwell, the mound itself acts as an entrance to a tunnel leading to the subterranean Hound nest. Conceivably, destroying this entrance blocks the tunnel and traps the Hounds underground.
Usually a Hound Mound is surrounded by lots of Bones and other mounds; this makes the place dangerous as players may be killed easily by numerous Hounds in a short time.
Reign of Giants[edit | edit source]
In the Reign of Giants DLC, Hound Mounds can be found commonly in the Desert Biome, often in a cluster. An additional 2 Bone Shards will be dropped when destroyed. Mounds have a chance of spawning a Blue hound during Spring and Winter, or a Red Hound in Summer or Fall.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Hounds spawned from Hound Mound will not continue to chase players if they are far away from the mound. Instead, they will bark for a moment and then return to the nest.
- Players should be careful if they try to lure a Deerclops or a Spider Queen to a Hound Mound, as they will most likely be killed by Hounds before their tactic works.
- In the Reign of Giants DLC, players can use Hound Mounds to farm Red or Blue variants of Hounds for their gems.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hound Mounds were added in the update, A Little Rain Must Fall.
- Hound Mounds will continue to spawn Hounds even if the player is playing on a world with Hounds set to the 'none' amount, as that only controls Hound waves. To avoid encountering Hounds from mounds, the mounds themselves have to be set to 'none'.