"Refuelable, bright, portable."
|× 2 × 3 × 2|
|7 min 48 sec|
|Provides light when carried or placed|
Stacks up to
|Does not stack|
The Lantern is a portable, refuelable light source that can be either equipped or placed on the ground to provide light. It requires 2 Light Bulbs, 3 Twigs, and 2 Ropes to craft and an Alchemy Engine to prototype.
Once crafted, the Lantern lasts 8 minutes before it must be refueled with either Light Bulbs, Fireflies, or Slurtle Slime. Fireflies will refuel it for 39%, which will last for 180 seconds, a Light Bulb refuels for 19%, which will last for 90 seconds, and Slurtle Slime fuels for 9.5%, which will last for 45 Seconds. Like a Fire Pit, as fuel is depleted, the light radius gradually becomes smaller.
The Lantern can be used as a weapon, but it will only deal as much damage as the character's fist (10 damage for normal damage multiplier characters).
- The Lantern was added in the Caves update.
- This is the only light source that generates light both when dropped on the ground (like a Pumpkin Lantern) and held (like a torch), making it useful as both a static and mobile light source. If the player needs to free their hands (e.g. to hold a weapon), they can drop the lantern and the light won't go out, which is especially handy in the caves. It is also the only light source that can be manually turned off or on when placed on the ground.
- Unlike Torches, rapidly clicking an equipped Lantern does not lower its durability.
- Exiting and restarting a world will "freeze" the state of any placed Lantern in that world until a player interacts with it. This means that any Lantern turned on can last indefinitely.
- Sometimes after linking a Shipwrecked world with a base game or Reign of Giants world any lanterns placed will lose their glow effect, making them appear to be off or out of fuel but will still give off light.