|Don't Starve Wiki has recently moved onto the Gamepedia network. Existing editors will need to create or use an existing Curse account and submit their usernames for merging contribution history. Once you have registered a new account through Gamepedia and logged into the wiki, you can use this form to submit your info to be merged. Learn more about the move and the merge process here.|
MacTusk is an aggressive Mob that spawns at Walrus Camps during Winter. He is the leader of Mactusk N' Son and will always be found traveling with his son, Wee MacTusk, and two Blue Hounds. They respawn every 2.5 days after being killed. He always drops 1 Meat and 1 Blow Dart, and possibly 1 Walrus Tusk and 1 Tam o' Shanter, when killed.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
MacTusk is only active during day. He will pursue the player, if they are in sight, often sending in the Hounds with his battle-cry. He attacks using a Blow Dart, while also trying to keep his distance. The Blow Dart he uses has a longer range than the player's version, but it also deals less damage. The player can dodge his darts when timed correctly; using a Walking Cane or Roads will raise their chances.
Hunting[edit | edit source]
- Take out the Hounds first. They're faster than the other hunting party members and can be led away from the group to be dealt with safely.
- If the player comes across the Walrus Camp while it is inactive, it will be prudent to set up defenses or traps. One of the easiest ways to do this would be with Tooth Traps, by placing at least three near the Camp.
- If lured to a pack of Pengulls, MacTusk will attack them, causing the Pengulls to retaliate and kill MacTusk (and his Hounds).
- One can use Chester as a decoy. Chester will take aggro if placed between the player and MacTusk. The Hounds can easily be dispatched in this manner. Once MacTusk is attacked though, he will not be distracted by Chester again.
- Chasing MacTusk far from his camp is another option to kill him once his hounds have been dispatched, as he becomes unaggressive at a certain distance and starts walking back, ignoring the player's presence. Players can simply attack and stun-lock him before he has a chance to retreat.
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill MacTusk when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
|No. of hits for
||36||12||9||6||5||4||3-6||3 or 4||3||2||1|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- MacTusk's Hunting Party was added in the A Winter's Tale update.
- There is a rare chance that when the season changes, MacTusk will be locked out of the Walrus Camp; therefore, he will be active outside of Winter, alone or with the other members that got locked out as well.
- MacTusk deals 33 damage when he attacks with his Blow Dart, whereas the player deals 100 damage when using the same weapon. This is because MacTusk uses an identical weapon in code which does 0 damage, but takes his damage amount. Without it, Mactusk wouldn't fire darts, instead he would instantly hurt the player.
- Wolfgang refers to Mactusk as a "Sea Cow man" in his quotes, a Sea Cow is a herbivorous marine mammal unrelated to the Walrus.
- As seen by his quote, Maxwell once knew Mactusk, and perhaps made him.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- If the Walrus Camp is close to the shore, MacTusk will (re)spawn and sometimes walk on the ocean, preventing him from getting back on land. This bug also occurs to few other mobs (such as Pigs and Wildbores) if their own housing structures are close to the ocean.