|The Cryptic Founder|
|"Eureka! My destiny awaits!"|
|A great inventor|
|-3 per raw Food|
–Wagstaff, examining object out of his sight
Robert Wagstaff is a Character in single-player Don't Starve. He requires no Experience to unlock and is immediately available. He is a pivotal character in the game's lore, being the founder of the Voxola Radio Company and likely creator of WX-78. Though he seems to be trapped in The Constant like any other survivor, Wagstaff seems to have brought himself there on purpose to seek the forbidden knowledge that the world contains.
Wagstaff has access to his own Crafting tab called Tinkering, with which he is able to craft different types of goggles and 3 exclusive gadgets. All goggles will remove Wagstaff's nearsighted disadvantage when worn, and each have their own special ability. Additionally, he has an exclusive item called the Electrical Doodad, which is needed to craft several of his other items.
The Tinkering Tab contains the following items that Wagstaff can craft:
- Spectoggles - Basic goggles for general use to negate nearsightedness and is used as an ingredient to craft other goggles. Can be used to reveal hidden dangers. Has a durability of 10 days.
- Infroggles - Lets Wagstaff see the world in an infrared view. Can be used to avoid being attacked by Charlie and lasts for 2 days.
- Visor - Absorbs 85% of physical damage and has a durability of 600. An overlay will partially block the edges of the player's screen while worn, making these goggles impractical to wear outside of combat.
- Fryfocals - Shoots a fireball when Wagstaff attacks a target while unequipped (i.e nothing in the hand slot). Each fireball deals 50 damage on impact[Verification Needed] as well as setting the victim on fire. The durability of these goggles is only reduced when firing them, meaning the player can potentially wear them forever to negate being nearsighted. Has 10 uses.
- Telebrella - Short-ranged teleportation device that will teleport Wagstaff to the nearest Telipad assuming the player is within range. The Telebrella has a limited range away from the receiving Telipad where it can be used. If the player ventures too far away from a Telipad, they cannot teleport. The light on top of the device indicates how far away the player is from a Telipad, glowing green when close but will begin to blink and blink faster as the player gets too far away, along with a sound accompanying each blink. If the light is completely dim and makes no noise, the player is too far away and must get closer to the Telipad before it can be used. It has 10 uses.
- Telipad - The receiver pad for the Telebrella that is placed on the ground. Wagstaff will teleport to the nearest Telipad when using a Telebrella and is close enough. If more than one Telipad exists and the player is standing on one of them, they will be teleported to the next closest Telipad. This allows the player to teleport back and forth between two points of the world.
- Thumper - A large device that slams the ground when activated and creates a shockwave that destroys Structures and Trees, and does slight damage to Mobs and the player should they be within range. The most prominent use is to farm trees by planting a bunch of them near the Thumper, wait for them to grow, and then activate it to harvest all the trees at once.
Wagstaff is nearsighted, which means that without his goggles he is unable to see beyond 4 units of distance. Outside of his line-of-sight, everything will appear blurry. When hovering over a blurry object with the cursor, the object will be given a random name. He has a set of examination quotes just for blurry objects, all variations on how he cannot determine what the object is. Staying warm and keeping sanity up may be difficult as goggles take up the head slot and are required to be worn at all times if the player wants to see clearly.
He also has a "delicate stomach", and will take 3 damage from eating raw Food.
In the Hamlet DLC, all of Wagstaff's exclusive headwear grants protection from Humid Season's Fog, allowing him to move at full speed. In addition, his Spectoggles allow him to identify Peculiar Objects.
- Wagstaff had sound files added in the Hamlet Early Access February 27, 2019 update. They were removed in the March 18, 2019 update.
- Wagstaff was officially added to the Early Access beta branch on April 18, 2019, alongside Wheeler.
- When Wagstaff is damaged, his appearance and voice will be distorted. The lower his health, the more distorted he will become.
- When Wagstaff is not wearing goggles, he can mistake mobs and objects for any other named object. This includes Warbucks or Unimplemented Features such as the Hay Fever Hat.
- When Wagstaff is not wearing goggles, any random object that something is given stays constant. If a Beefalo was named "Grass Tuft," you could come back and find the same Beefalo.
- In the roadmap forum post where he was first teased, he was described as "a mysterious inventor who finds himself exactly where he wanted to be".
- Wagstaff is the only addition to the Don't Starve original cast not to be included in Don't Starve Together.
|Wagstaff's voice. There are four versions that progressively get more distorted as he loses hp.||File:Wagstaff Voice 1.oggFile:Wagstaff Voice 2.ogg|
|Wagstaff's hurt voice. There are four versions that progressively get more distorted as he loses hp.||File:Wagstaff Hurt Voice 1.oggFile:Wagstaff Hurt Voice 2.ogg|
|Wagstaff dying.||File:Wagstaff Death Voice.ogg|
|Wagstaff's Old Sounds|
|Wagstaff's voice.||File:Wagstaff Voice Unimplemented.ogg|
|Wagstaff's hurt voice.||File:Wagstaff Hurt Voice Unimplemented.ogg|
|Wagstaff dying.||File:Wagstaff Death Voice Unimplemented.ogg|
|Wagstaff's goggles sound effects.||File:Wagstaff Goggles Sound Unimplemented.ogg|
- Forums Update: Don't Starve: Hamlet Roadmap Posted on February 15, 2019.