|Don't Starve Wiki has recently moved onto the Gamepedia network. Existing editors will need to create or use an existing Curse account and submit their usernames for merging contribution history. Once you have registered a new account through Gamepedia and logged into the wiki, you can use this form to submit your info to be merged. Learn more about the move and the merge process here.|
Once spawned, a Blue Whale will actively avoid the player until it is attacked, at which point the animal becomes hostile and will chase the player for a distance. A Blue Whale can't be set on fire.
It drops a Blue Whale Carcass when killed. The Blue Whale Carcass will take 3-5 days to fully bloat (only if the player is nearby)- when bloated it can be popped with a Machete and it will explode, dropping 4 Raw Fish, 4 Blubber, and 9 other random items. They are considered innocent creatures, and killing one adds 7 points to the player's naughtiness level, which can cause Krampus to appear.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
When approached, the Blue Whale will run away from the player, although it is slow and the player can easily catch up. When the player gets close enough to the Blue Whale it will stop and poke its head out of the water. The Blue Whale creates two large waves when it attacks, though the player can be safe at attacking distance given the spread.
After it has been angered, the Blue Whale will attempt to close the distance between it and the attacker. A player can safely kite one with an attack pattern of 5-6 swings, depending on movement speed. However, if there is more than one Blue Whale on-screen then all of them will become aggressive towards the attacker until they are killed or outrun.
Hunting[edit | edit source]
By investigating some Suspicious Bubbles, one can find a Blue Whale. These can be found randomly in the deep ocean biome and will change locations if ignored for a period of time. Once investigating Suspicious Bubbles three will pop in the same direction, if followed it will lead to another Suspicious Bubbles or the Blue Whale approximately two screens away. Upon uncovering the final bubble (there can be between 6 and 12 per hunt), the character will alert the player that the creature is close and a Blue Whale will be spawned rather than another bubble. Note there is a 1/3 chance that a White Whale will spawn instead.
The Blue Whale can't swim into the Shallow Ocean and will turn away from its borders if it approaches it. This allows the player to kill it without being attacked back by simply staying on the edge of the Shallow Ocean.
Once killed, the Blue Whale will drop a Blue Whale Carcass. The carcass will go through 3 stages: Bloated stage 1 (recently killed, withered, and rotting), bloated stage 2 (larger, emits more smell), and bloating stage 3 (severely deformed, shaking softly). During stages 2 and 3, the Blue Whale Carcass will create a squeaking sound that can be heard from about 8 boat lengths away.
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Blue Whale when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
Possible Random Items[edit | edit source]
High quality items (low drop chance, rolls up to 2 items):
Medium quality items (medium drop chance, rolls up to 3 items):
Low quality items (high drop chance, rolls up to 4 items):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the Blue Whale is a pun on the word Blue. "Feeling blue" is an idiom to convey feelings of sadness or unhappiness. This is confirmed by the sad appearance of the whale and multiple characters referring to the sadness or emotional issues of the whale in their examination quotes.
- The Blue Whale is the Shipwrecked equivalent of the Koalefant.
- The Blue Whale is likely based on the real life Blue Whale, which is known for being the largest creature still alive today.
- The fact that both of the Whales in Don't Starve bloat and can be burst is actually based on reality; when a real Whale dies, its insides decompose and methane and hydrogen are rapidly gathered in their bodies, and when a significant amount of it is gathered, a cut from a sharp object can cause the Whale to burst and cause gas and its internal organs to fly out.
- In the dry season one can speed up the process of decomposition by letting a carcass be hit by a dragoon egg during an eruption by staying close to it while dodging eggs.Succesfully being hit by an egg will make the carcass go instantly into the next decomposition stage.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- The Blue Whale will not attack the player back after reaching the Shallow Ocean even if the player enters deeper levels.
Gallery[edit | edit source]