|Don't Starve Wiki has recently moved onto the Gamepedia network. Existing editors will need to create or use an existing Curse account and submit their usernames for merging contribution history. Once you have registered a new account through Gamepedia and logged into the wiki, you can use this form to submit your info to be merged. Learn more about the move and the merge process here.|
We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
|The Gentleman Scientist|
|"I will conquer it all with the power of my MIND!"|
|Grows a magnificent beard|
Wilson Percival Higgsbury is the first available playable Character in Don't Starve, (requiring no Experience) and one of the 11 playable Characters in Don't Starve Together. He was released the same time as the Don't Starve Vanilla release in Late 2012 and he was the first Character with a confirmed backstory, thus making him the main protagonist of the game. He's a witty scientist wannabe that has a sense of humor. He also has a peculiar haircut resembling the letter "W".
Wilson's only perk is that he can grow a magnificent Beard that gives him a few small advantages in harsh weather and life preservation. Being the default Character his Health, Hunger, and Sanity all have default values and he has no drawbacks. Overall, Wilson is meant for better Winter survival and efficiency, as well as easier access to Meat Effigies. His stats make him a good all-around Character, and many players (from beginners to experts) find that Wilson, as well as his Beard, provides welcome advantages to surviving in the wilderness.
Origin[edit | edit source]
Wilson used to live in a rickety wooden house in the mountains, where he performed experiments all day. After a mixture of some sort exploded in a puff in his face, he sat down, agitated that things weren't working out for him. He didn't have too much time to do so, however, as he heard a mysterious voice coming from his radio (revealed to be Maxwell's later on in the video). Maxwell offered Wilson secret and forbidden knowledge, and Wilson, willing and hungry for said knowledge, hastily agreed. This caused massive amounts of information to be inserted into his head. What Wilson didn't know was that almost all this information wasn't about anything scientific.
With this newfound knowledge, he began building a mysterious machine. When the machine was finished, he gazed upon it in wonder. Maxwell told him to throw the switch - Wilson, however, was hesitant. Only with a bit of egging on - Maxwell shouting "DO IT!" - does he pull the lever. Wilson then realized that this machine was some sort of portal, only meant to lead him to his demise. As Maxwell laughed maniacally, shadowy hands appeared from the floor and pulled Wilson into the mysterious wilderness world where Don't Starve takes place.
Special Power[edit | edit source]
Wilson's special power is that he can grow a hairy Beard. It has two basic characteristics:
- Depending on length, the Beard provides up to 135 insulation against Freezing.
- The Beard can be shaved for Beard Hair, allowing the player to easily make a Meat Effigy and restoring 10 .
Below is the days it takes Wilson to grow his Beard to the next stage, along with the number of Beard Hair gained and Insulation provided with each stage.
|Days until growth||Length||Beard Hair Yield||Insulation Time|
|4 Days||Short Beard||1 (0.25 per day)||15 seconds|
|7 Days||Long Beard||3 (0.43 per day)||45 seconds|
|15 Days||Magnificent Beard||9 (0.6 per day)||135 seconds|
Downloadable Content[edit | edit source]
In the Reign of Giants (RoG) (and by extension, Don't Starve Together (DST)) and Shipwrecked (SW) DLCs, having a Beard during Summer or Dry Season respectively will make Wilson Overheat faster. Some of his examination quotes also change to reflect the changes in the DLCs.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Beard will take exactly 15 days to grow to its full length (full length at the beginning of day 16), and since Winter starts on day 21 on default settings, this proves advantageous for Winter survival. The player can easily survive Winter with just a full Beard and a Thermal Stone.
- A good tip is to shave your Beard after four days (because then you get 1 free Beard Hair and will still have the full Beard by Winter). As the Beard (unlike clothing) will not wear out, providing insulation as long as the player doesn't shave.
- In RoG, DST and SW, it is advised to shave at the beginning of Summer/Dry Season due to the Beard accelerating the rate at which Wilson overheats and providing no benefits when fully grown.
- Wilson's extra insulation from his Beard allows him to go a long time without a source of heat when wearing additional warm clothing, reducing the amount of resources needed to keep warm in cold weather. This is especially useful when tracking a Winter Koalefant, which usually requires extended time away from fire to follow its trail.
- The player should also consider that due to the extra insulation they can spend time preparing for Winter in other ways. For example, instead of tracking down a Koalefant in order to make a Breezy Vest, the player could focus on ensuring enough Rabbit Traps have been placed or plenty of Logs have been gathered in preparation for Winter. If the player is entering Winter with little more than Rabbit Earmuffs, it would be wise to keep the Beard for the added insulation.
- If plenty of insulated Clothes have been gathered prior to Winter, shaving may be a good option. A Meat Effigy will require 4 Beard Hair, and 9 Beard Hairs can be obtained by shaving on day 16. Shaving leaves the player with less insulation for the Winter, but a nice insurance policy from the Meat Effigy. Shaving the Beard at any stage before full length will not provide enough Beard Hair in a single shaving, but it can always be stored for later as it does not degrade.
- As the Beard doesn't grow longer after 16 days and the player loses it on resurrection or by changing Characters, it is most efficient to shave after every sixteenth day, unless Winter is coming.
- In terms of gaining Sanity, shaving every 5 days will yield the best results.
- Wilson keeps his Beard when he uses a Wooden Thing to move to a new world. This proves useful in Adventure Mode when "King of Winter" or "The Game is Afoot" are still to be encountered.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Wilson's voice is played by a "Harmon muted trumpet (mixed with some cup muted trumpet as well)".
- Wilson's age is in the early 30s.
- Wilson is the first Character to be given a background in video form.
- While the designs are flying around Wilson in the origin video, a Tie Fighter from Star Wars and other various words, such as "KLEI", can be seen as well as a Vitruvian Man featuring Wilson as the men.
- On the video, when Wilson is holding the radio up (~00:40), there is a http://bit.ly/UIBA7P is shown in the video) that leads to a page with the machine that Wilson built. Clicking on the machine's lever will turn the machine on and go to a page with concept art on the Don't Starve website, along with a message from Maxwell. (in fact
- Before being transported into the Don't Starve world, Wilson was living alone in the woods of New England; it is unknown if he is of North American origins though. The reason why he is living alone is because he doesn't get along with his family.
- With a Puffy Vest, a Beefalo Hat, a Heat Stone and the Beard at full length, Wilson can have the highest insulation factor in the game at 735.
- Wilson is the only Character capable of producing Beard Hair from shaving. His Beard is also the only one to allegedly be made of human hair.
- With the introduction of the Insanity! update, Wilson is no longer the only Character that could build the Meat Effigy.
- With the implementation of Woodie, he is no longer the only Character with a full beard. And with Webber, he is no longer the only one that could grow a Beard over time.
- Wilson is the only Character unaffected by the Strange New Powers update, aside from Maxwell, who was not finished in time and got his new powers later on in the All's Well That Maxwell update.
- Wilson is the only Character with no drawbacks.
- Even in RoG his Beard needs to be grown to accelerate overheating in Summer, which is not required of Wilson during that season.
- Wilson has a skull in the game files.
- Before the November 14, 2013 patch, Wilson used to share a lot of examination quotes with the other Characters.
- His quotes are also used as the default for every other playable Character when new objects are implemented in a beta stage.
- Wilson can be used as a Steam chat emoticon.
- Team Fortress 2 promoted Don't Starve with a modeled after Wilson's hair, as well as a weapon based on the Ham Bat.
- Wilson is one of the two Characters whose full name is known, the other being Maxwell.
- When struck by Lightning in DLCs, Wilson, like most other Characters, is shown to have bones in his hair.
- According to Wilson's description while in formal attire in Don't Starve Together, he hates formal parties.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Steam Badges Gallery[edit | edit source]
Don't Starve Together Gallery[edit | edit source]
Wilson's ghost in DST.
Steam Trading Cards Gallery[edit | edit source]
Wilson's Steam Trading Card for Don't Starve.
Wilson and Willow in a Steam Trading Card for Don't Starve Together
Wilson and Willow in the foil version of the Trading Card for DST
Promotional Images[edit | edit source]
Wilson being startled by a Treeguard in a promotional image for Don't Starve.
Wilson in the Spring promo for Reign of Giants.
Wilson in the Summer promo for RoG.
Wilson in the Autumn promo for RoG.
Wilson in the Winter promo for RoG.
Wilson's Weave along with the Ham Shank on the promotional banner for Don't Starve.
Wilson putting a Saddle on a Beefalo in a promotional image for an update to Don't Starve Together.
Posters[edit | edit source]
Wilson facing insanity in the poster for the Insanity! update.
Wilson fleeing in the poster for the The Birds and the Bees & Dogs That Want to Kill You update.
Wilson with a full beard in the poster for the Strange New Powers update.
Wilson smiling at his new Clockwork minions in the poster for the A Moderately Friendly Update update.
Wilson as he appears in the poster for the addition of the new Chesters.
Wilson cooking some Meat on a Christmas themed poster.
A scared Wilson grabbed by Bearger in a poster announcing the release of Reign of Giants on the PS4.
Official Wallpapers[edit | edit source]
Wilson and a friendly Pig in an official wallpaper.
Wilson looking down a Sinkhole in an official wallpaper.
Wilson being chased by Deerclops in an official wallpaper.
Wilson after triggering the Fire Staff Trap in an official wallpaper.
Wilson and a Lureplant in an official wallpaper.
Wilson’s Outfit Gallery[edit | edit source]
Sounds[edit | edit source]
The voice of Wilson.
References[edit | edit source]